Welcome to the Series # 1 of Christ Likeness – Grow up
In this series we will about to study on how to grow spiritually
How to grow spiritually?
Growing up is part of life. Babies are really cute. The way the babies talk, act, smile, so adorable. But when the baby never grows up, I don’t think you will still find his/her cute.
I heard about the book of Dr. Dan Kiley in the title “The Peter pan Syndrome: Men Who Have Never Grown Up”. The ‘Peter Pan Syndrome’ affects people who do not want or feel unable to grow up, people with the body of an adult but the mind of a child.
All living creatures need to grow. We need to grow up, physically, mentally, emotionally. We, as a christian, we have to grow spiritually in order for us to be like Jesus Christ.
“From the very beginning God decided that those who came to Him – and He knew who would – should become like His Son…” Rom. 8:29 (LB) “God wants us to grow up … like Christ in everything.” Eph. 4:15
God also made us to grow spiritually. To be like His Son. Jesus Christ is not only our Lord and Savior, He is also our model.
3rd PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO BECOME LIKE CHRIST
We have to learn to think, act, speak, love, and serve the way Jesus did.
HOW DO I GROW SPIRITUALLY?
1. by worshipping – “As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we becomemore and more like Him and reflect His glory even more.” 2 Cor. 3:18 (NLT)
2. by fellowshipping – “We are joined together in Christ’s Body and we grow as we get our nourishment and strength from God.” Col. 2:19 NLT
3. by growing spiritually – (God has gifted teachers) “…so that we will be matureand full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ.” Eph. 4:13 (NLT)
4. by serving – Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus, who, though He was God… made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant…” Phil. 2:5
5. by sharing – Jesus:”I have come to seek and save those who are lost.”
THREE UNEXPECTED TOOLS
“In all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Rom. 8:28 (NIV)
1. GOD USES TROUBLES TO TEACH US TO TRUST HIM
“…troubles produce patience. And patience produces character, and character produces hope.” Rom. 5:3-4 (NCV)
“They came to a garden called Gethsemane and Jesus said to His disciples, ‘Sit here while I pray.’ … Distress and anguish came over Him, and He said, ‘The sorrow in My heart is so great that it almost crushes Me.’ Mark 14:32-34 (TEV)
“Father, everything is possible for You. Please take this cup of suffering away from Me. Yet I want Your will, not Mine!” Mark 14:36 (NLT)
“At the Lord’s direction, Moses kept a written record of their progress.” Num. 33:2 (NLT)
REMEMBER THE REWARD
“Our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Cor. 4:17 (NIV)
2. GOD USES TEMPTATION TO TEACH US TO GROW
“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.” “‘Get out of here, Satan’ Jesus told him ‘The Scriptures say, Worship only the Lord God. Obey only Him.’” Matt. 4:10 (LB) Keep focused on GOD “Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right.” Phil. 4:8a (LB) Get a “You’re better off to have a friend than to be all alone… If you fall, your friend can help you up.” Eccl. 4:9-10 (CEV)
3. GOD USES TRESPASSES TO TEACH US TO FORGIVE
“People passing by shook their heads and hurled insults at Jesus … and the elders made fun of Him… Even the bandits who had been crucified with Him insulted him in the same way.” Matt. 27:39-44 (TEV) Jesus said, ‘Father, forgive these people, because they don’t know what they are doing.’” Luke 23:34 (NLT) Remember God has forgiven me “Forgive others, just as God forgave you because of Christ.” Eph. 4:32 (CEV) Remember God is in control.
“You meant to hurt me, but God turned your evil into good to save the lives of many people, which is being done.” Gen. 50:20 (NCV)
“We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with Him, then we’re certainly going to go through the good times with Him.” Rom. 8:17 (Mes)
Purpose Driven of Life